Thursday, December 11, 2008

Reading

A new thing that we have started in class is a Book Wall. Students list books and authors of books that they have enjoyed reading. This serves as a way to recommend books to their classmates. I have seen so many more students carrying around books that they are reading just for pleasure. I am so glad!!! This makes me happy. Studies how that the more students read, the better they become at reading and writing. Plus, in my opinion reading is just fun.

I have also instituted the Scholastic Book Club order forms in my class. Remember those from your student's elementary school days? Well, they are back. I feel that the order forms give students a look in to books that they might not read otherwise. Don't worry these are at their reading level!! I will be collecting orders no later than Thursday December 18. The information is all on the order form. There is no pressure, this is just for fun and access to books. I am also working on a way for you to be able to place the orders online from home. More on that to come...

Please encourage your students to read over the break. Anything will do: books, magazines, newspapers, fiction, non-fiction, biographies, fantasy, sci-fi, historical fiction...

No comments: